Best - Cahors in Bordeaux
Local Recommendations from our My Guide Bordeaux team
A French wine secret is Cahors. It is older than the Bordeaux region, with vineyards dramatically set around the town of Cahors on the River Lot east of Bordeaux. In 1152 Eleanor of Aquitaine drank 'Vin Noir' or Black Wine at her wedding.
The AOC deeply coloured, full bodied Cahors red wine is dominated by Malbec grapes or 'Auxerrois', supplemented by Merlot and Tannat. Reds are similar to robust Bordeaux and do well with aging. Some white and rosé wines do not have the AOC designation and are sold under 'Vin de Pays' du Lot. Cahors is a superb region of beauty, wine and food.
Book Top Experiences and Tours in Bordeaux:If youʻre booking your trip to Bordeaux last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Bordeaux: Full-Day St Emilion Wine Tasting Tour
- From Bordeaux: Half-Day Saint-Émilion Tour and Wine Tasting
- Soussans: Guided Winery Tour with Wine Tasting near Margaux
- From Bordeaux: St. Emilion Village Half-Day Wine Tour
- Bordeaux to Dordogne: Castles & Villages Private Tour